Sign up now for the University of Virginia’s Mindfulness Center workshop designed especially for law students, “Mindfulness for Law Students.” The six-week series will meet each Thursday, October 3 through November 7, 5:15-7:15pm here at the Law School. Sessions will combine discussion, guided meditations and instruction, and provide resources for students to develop their own meditation practices. To encourage interactivity, enrollment is limited to 30 students and participants must attend all six sessions. The workshop is free to students. Slots are already filling – for more information and to enroll, email Kristin Glover at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to hear hard science on how meditation changes the brain? U.Va.’s Contemplative Sciences Center (CSC) is hosting a talk by Dr. Richard Davidson on Change Your Brain by Transforming Your Mind: Neuroscientific Studies of Meditation. Dr. Davidson founded the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Center for Investigating Healthy Minds, and conducts scientific studies of the impact of meditation on brain activity. His study of brain scans of people while they were meditating found remarkably high rates of activity in the part of the brain linked to positive emotions. His talk is on Main Grounds in Old Cabell Hall, Friday September 20, noon-2pm (doors open at 11:30); register on CSC's website.
Check out these books new to the Law Library’s growing collection of mindfulness materials! Let us know if you have favorites you’d like to see added. You’ll find these books and more in the Library’s Reserve Room, next to the DVD collection:
- Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh.
- Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
- Nothing Special: Living Zen by Charlotte J. Beck & Steve Smith.
- A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life by Jack Kornfield.
- Zen Flesh Zen Bones: A Collection of Zen and pre-Zen Writings compiled by Paul Reps & Nyogen Senzaki.
- The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle.
- The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.
- Kristin Glover & Ben Doherty